Saturday, December 6, 2008

One Year and Still Here


Gregory turned 1 year old today. I feel I've learned a lot these past 12 months; some new things, and some old that I needed to be reminded of

1. Time flies, kind of. It could have been just yesterday that I was sleeping on the pull out sofa in Gregory's room, waking up with him 5-6 times a night. But that fog you're in for the first 3 months of your newborn's life does seem to last for years. And today, Charlie is in that 3 year old, all consuming, mind numbing phase that also feels like it's lasting for years. As our friend Ray reminded me, 'It is all just a phase and this too shall pass.' I bet when I wake up tomorrow they'll be stealing my zit cream and putting skull and cross bones 'Keep Out' signs on their bedroom doors.

2. No one is ever going to need me this much for the rest of my life. This scares me, it's a lot of pressure. As well as annoys me, leaving very little breathing room, which is why I complain/blog about it. But ultimately, it feeds my maternal ego. The satisfaction of being the only person who can soothe my baby's cry is empowering and definitely makes me feel like this is the most important thing I could be doing right now.

3. The greeting I get from my kids when I come home (even after only 1 hour) can wipe away any curve ball life has thrown at me that day. 'Mommy, we missed you!' is music to my ears.

4. What you give is commensurate with what you get back. Sometimes I get so caught up in how my kids are trying to steal my remaining youth or ruin my nap time, that I forget that they are re-teaching me some of life's most valuable lessons - patience, listening, love, humor and boundaries. My response to their every action is the lesson for both parent and child.

5. You never realize how easy 1 kid is until you have 2. Unfortunately, you can't ever know this until you've already crossed that bridge, then there's no going back. That being said, there is no greater joy than witnessing your children sharing a moment of laughter or tenderness.

6. That delicious baby smell is gone before you know it. So enjoy and get your snuffs in while you can.

7. One year old's do not care about presents, cake or lots of guests fawning over them at their birthday. Save yourself the hassle of having all of your friends, family, co workers, neighbors over for a party where you're running around like a crazed person the 2 weeks prior. Where your kid has a complete meltdown due to a missed nap and over stimulation, leaving all attendees, especially Mom and Dad, miserable, and stuck with hours of clean up on what should be a festive occasion.
My suggestion, take a few pictures of the kid with a party hat, a cake and some gifts; for posterity sake as well as for the grandparents. Then use the money you saved to hire a babysitter and go out with your significant other to rejoice in your survival.

I'm sure these sound like immature ruminations to parents with older children. Please let me go on thinking for this brief moment in time, how wise I've become in the tutelage of my 1 and 3 year old. I'll be sure to call you for advice when I have to install LoJack in my car and a condom dispenser in my bathroom.

1 comment:

AmyH said...

I can't believe he's one already! time flies.