Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Waking up is hard to do

Another 5 am wake up from my dear eldest son and another battle over what bed he was going to sleep in - this after a 2 am cry out from Gregory. Charlie didn't go back to his own bed, we compromised on the couch. Of course he came creeping into our room at the first hint of sun. I was just falling back to sleep and was in no mood. Though I did think it was incredibly cute, in an annoying way, when he played with my hair and asked me if liked firetrucks, sirens, police cars, silver cars, daddy's car, my car. Though it turned annoying quickly when he demanded an answer with each one. We were finally up for the day at 6:15 am. Ugh!
It's amazing when your sleep is interrupted multiple days in a row by your child, how intolerant you become to everything about them. Sleep deprivation is the biggest deterrent to maintaining one's sanity.
At breakfast I decided to give Charlie the silent treatment as punishment for waking me. I know this is not the most effective way to deal with a 3 year old, but damn is it satisfying. Though he's gotten smart to my ways. He looked at me and said, "Why you not talking?" I continued to ignore him. "Mommy, are you not happy with me?" Come on, how is anyone supposed to ignore that? He hit me with that annoying-cute combo again. "No honey, Mommy's just tired because you woke me up when it was dark."
My husband sauntered into the kitchen and could sense the tension. He said, "Everything okay in here?" Peachy. Of course he can be all calm and objective since he will be trotting his ass to work in about 5 minutes. He gets to leave hell.
Fortunately, after breakfast I plopped boy wonder in front of his Maisy video until it was time to leave for daycare. Daycare opens at 8 am, I was there at 8:01.
I truly do not know how single parents manage this. I live for when Brian comes home at the end of the day to relieve some of the burden. Parenting is overwhelming and I'm not having fun. I'm in a bit of a dark place right now, so I think I should sign off before I really post something that I'll regret.

No comments: