Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Confessions of a stay at home Mom

For the first 20 something years of my life, I didn't think much about parenting, and when I did I wondered if I wanted children at all. I'll spare you the details, but obviously I changed my mind. Not only am I a parent twice over, but now being a mom is my full time job, one for which I feel severely under qualified.
My kids, Charlie 3 and Gregory 8 months, are my greatest achievement to date, but there are days where I want to take them and throw them off of the Golden Gate Bridge. May seem a little harsh to some people, but I'm here to tell you that these feelings are completely normal.
From the moment my first son was born, to this very instant typing on my couch, I am in awe of how unwilling people are to share their true feelings on parenting.

Some days are so good, you are amazed at how cool, smart, funny, precocious your kid is. But then there are days and often entire weeks/months where you think you may have accidentally taken home the love child of Scott Peterson and Amber Frye - bad example, but you catch my drift.

My hope for this blog is to give some comfort to those who are ashamed by frequent feelings of inadequacy, contempt, and at times even hatred, about being a parent or toward their child(ren). You are not alone, most people have had these same feelings but don't have the balls to admit it.

No comments: