Thursday, October 30, 2008

Colors

3 years olds are all about figuring out how the world works, where they fit into it and then letting you know every little thing they learn while on this journey. Whether it's numbers, letters, changing your alarm clock settings, or learning to pick their nose, they're like little sponges with mouthes that spit back a continuous stream of discovery notes.

-Did you know I used to be a baby and I came from your belly?
-Rocks are big, but we don't throw them at people, just dogs and water.
-Safety is very important, that's why we wear goggles when we drill.
-I have a penis and you have a ginuv (vagina), my ginuv is in my butt.
-Candy is good for my body, it has protein.

For the most part I just nod, or say 'Oh, really?', and go along with whatever Charlie says. There are occasions where the information is just plain wrong and I try to correct him . I try to avoid this at all costs as it usually leads to a battle of "Yes it is vs No it's not". Most parents of preschoolers know for a fact that they will never win this battle. But sometimes, the shit gets personal and I can't help but declare all out war on Charlie's ass.

Charlie is really into his colors right now. He's always listing off the colors of objects around him. Not to brag, but he's way more advanced than the typical ROYGBIV spectrum. He's onto mint green, light blue, gray, silver and gold. He's quite accurate, but for some reason his Achilles heel is yellow and white. He always interchanges the 2, but once you point it out, he knows the difference.

On the way to school last week he and I were talking colors. We like to count the number of certain color cars on the highway. Or we'll pick a color and list all of the things we can think of that are that color. We were doing green; trees, grass, street lights, stems on pumpkins, etc. To which I did the obligatory nod or 'that's right'. Then Charlie said, "Let's do yellow." Okay. "School bus, dandelion, bumble bee, your teeth..." What did you say? "Your teeth. They're yellow." No honey, you mean white. "No, yellow." You mean white, like a snowman. "No, yellow like corn." I think you're confusing yellow and white. "NO, I'M NOT." Well, I think you are. "I AM NOT!" My silence signals my defeat.

I immediately made an appointment with my dentist for a cleaning and lengthy discussion on teeth whitening options. I told him the story. His first response, "Well, your teeth aren't white, most people's are not. But kids at that age aren't familiar with colors like creme or off white." For gosh sakes man, why don't you just kick me when I'm down?

I have always hated going to the dentist, now I have another reason to validate my anger; that and the $400 he wants to charge me to 'lighten' my teeth. He couldn't promise whiter, just lighter. Is the next shade lighter than corn, butter? And would that fall into the white or yellow family? I'll have to ask Charlie.

No comments: