Tuesday, April 28, 2009

And People Wonder Why I'm Losing My Mind

This is a conversation I had with Charlie on the way to school yesterday morning. A car had been pulled over on the highway by a patrolman with flashing lights and everything. Naturally, our curiosity was peaked.

'Mommy, why did the po po pull over that car?'
I'm not sure Charlie, maybe they were going too fast.
'Why were they going too fast?'
I don't know why they were going too fast.
'Why don't you know?'
Charlie, I'm not sure if that's why they even got pulled over.
'How come?'
Because I'm not in the car with them.
'How come?'
Because I'm in the car with you.
'Why?'
Who would drive if I wasn't driving? (I thought answering a question with a question would throw him off. No such luck.)
'So why did that driver get pulled over?'
I don't know why.
'Mommy, tell me every reason why they would be pulled over by the po po.'
(Sigh.) Charlie, I don't know.
'How come you don't know?'
Charlie, most people get pulled over by the po po because they are speeding.
'Do they get a ticket?'
Yes, then they get a ticket for speeding.
'How come?'
Because speeding is against the law.
'What's against the law?'
There are rules that we have to follow and if you don't listen, the po po will pull you over and give you a ticket.
'Why would they give you a ticket?'
Charlie, can we please just be quiet and listen to the music.
'Why?'
Because Mommy is about to go crazy.
'How come?'
Seriously, you have to stop asking questions.
'But why?'
CHARLIE, STOP TALKING. PLEASE.
'Okay, Mama.'
(Guilty feelings ensue followed by emotional eating.)

No comments: