Thursday, May 14, 2009

What Happens in Vegas...

Charlie's sphere of influence is limited to home, school, the park or play dates. With the exception of school, he's always with me or Brian. At 3 1/2, his world is already starting to expand, he's having new experiences and meeting new friends. I need to come to grips with the fact that the older he gets, the less control I'll have over him and these experiences and friends.

Last weekend Charlie had his first unsupervised play date at the next door neighbor's house. The son is 5 and Charlie looks up to him like a big brother. He actually listens when he says, "Charlie, please don't hit me in the face with your dump truck." Charlie must have hung on every syllable this boy uttered, because we've had some new phrases pop up in our household. 'I'm going to kill you, Gregory', 'You're dead, Mommy', or my personal favorite, 'Your eyes are going to pop out, then your brain will fall to the floor and you'll be dead, Daddy.'

My neighbor does the eye roll-shoulder shrug apology. You know the one that communicates wordlessly, 'I feel bad. But what can I do? I only have so much energy in a day to fight this monster.' It's the very same apology I used last week during arts and crafts hour at the library. Charlie started chanting 'PENIS BUTT!' at the top of his lungs and about half of the children at the table joined in, much to the chagrin of the librarian and other parents.

So I tried not make a big deal about the 'kill' and 'die' language, every age has their thing. Besides, if I had a 5 year old, with my track record he'd be aiming his toy Glock 19 with laser scope at the neighbor's head while playing David Koresh and the Branch Davidians.

Things could always be worse. But I was left wondering, what kind of 'chanting' did Charlie do while next door and out of my care? How much worse than 'penis butt' could it get? And did I really want to know?

When they venture out from under our wing, we can only hope that our children take the good lessons we have tried to instill. Unfortunately, I learned they take a lot more than good values on this journey, they bring your dirty laundry with them as well. I never discovered any specifics about what my son shared with our neighbors, but I have a pretty good idea.

The other week as I was leaving school, I heard Charlie announce to his teacher, 'Claire, did you know my Daddy has the stinkiest poops ever? They're really super stinky.' Claire is a consummate professional, she smiled and said, "Oh, really Charlie?" I chuckled and did the eye roll-shoulder shrug thing, remembering a similar comment I had made that morning. Brian was mortified as there was an event at school the following day which would mark his first introduction to Claire. "No, really Mr. Goldstein, we don't need to shake hands. 'Nice to meet you' is sufficient."

The same week, on one of our not so good days, Charlie pushed Gregory backwards off the couch, hitting his head squarely on the coffee table. It was so bad that I thought he had a concussion. I 100% panicked. Recognizing the appearance of out of control Mommy, Charlie ran into his room. When I got there, he acted like he was reading and not a brother beater on the lam. I grabbed the book and threw it against the wall. He smiled at me. My flip flop came off next. I threw that against the wall, too. He just kept smiling and told me that Gregory fell all by himself. I screamed some threats, a few mild profanities, then slammed the door as I left the room.

The next day at Barnes & Noble, while buying some baby gifts, Charlie said to the saleswoman, 'You know what? Yesterday my Mom got so mad that she threw a book at the wall, but it wasn't a book like this, it was WAY bigger. Then you know what? She threw her flip flop, too. She was really mad because I hurt my brother.' The eye roll-shoulder shrug didn't seem as appropriate as the heads down-don't look anyone in the eye dash to the door. I have yet to return to the children's section.

Parents are the same, deep down we feel that our children's actions (especially the bad stuff) are a direct reflection of our parenting. Thus we try to control everything - eliminate the bad or at least try to hide it, over emphasize the good, and show everyone we are raising the smartest, most talented, and well mannered child the world has ever seen.

We fear the judgment of others - most specifically other mothers - especially when our kids are young and act really bad and we don't have any outside influences to blame. 'What kind of child are they raising? How else would he learn those kinds of words except at home? They must let him watch PG movies and eat red dye #40.' The fact that the child has a mind of his own does not enter anyone's thoughts during these moments of insecurity. We've all been there. We place the blame as quickly as we take it, and think 'there has got to be some way to change or fix that child's behavior'. But sometimes there is not a damn thing you can do but just grin and bear it (or roll and shrug) and wait for the next phase.

Brian and I have made a conscious effort to watch what we say in front of Charlie and to calm ourselves. The boy is like a video recorder that plays back an endless reel of our 'worst of' footage. If he's going out into the world- unaccompanied- representing our family, we need to control our part of the equation. We'll do the best we can, try not to judge ourselves or others too harshly, and the rest is up to Charlie. What a frightening thought.

1 comment:

AmyH said...

Don't fight it too much. By the time Charlie is a teenager you'll be dropping F bombs at him like the rest of us.